Author Topic: The Military Thread  (Read 33128 times)

Offline Schwalbe

• Superheavyweight
  • Nachtjager
Re: The Military Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 03:57:14 pm »
Now our new Leopards 2A6M ?
are these your tanks or did canada just rented them from us ?

The Canadian Forces acquired 100 Leopard 2 tanks from the Netherlands (eighty 2A4, twenty 2A6NL) in 2007 and most ex-Dutch A4's have been upgraded to 2A6. But you are right Yeckmohr 20 of our new 2A6 are rent from Germany. Most Leopard in service in Afghanistan are 2A4M and 2A6M and thery are protected against mine and IED protection. 

Offline Darkel

• paparazzo
    • Flickr
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 04:26:54 pm »
BTW schwalbe what's the latest news about the helicopter situation in the Canadian army ?

I remember there were talks about the current fleet in the middle east being mostly composed of rented gunships ? Is Canada's military budget still declining that fast ?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:30:56 pm by Darkel »

Offline sentra_dude

• paparazzo
  • The Aviator
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:53 pm »
@Schwalbe, yes most of those pics are of Leo 1s or as designated by the Canadian Army, Leopard C2 (basically an up-armoured 1A5). I believe those pics are from 2006 but I'm not sure.

That's quite a pic of the Sherman with everything but the kitchen sink thrown on for extra protection.

Offline Schwalbe

• Superheavyweight
  • Nachtjager
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 04:21:43 am »
BTW schwalbe what's the latest news about the helicopter situation in the Canadian army ?

I remember there were talks about the current fleet in the middle east being mostly composed of rented gunships ? Is Canada's military budget still declining that fast ?

We bought 15 CH-53 Chinook helicopters last year for 1.2 billions equiped with GAU-2/A 7.62mm miniguns, but since day one that we are in Afghanistan our lack of protection to protect our vehicule convoys was noted. We are still in discussion & evaluation to either buy or rent Attack helicopters such AH-64L Apaches or  AH-1W SuperCobras.

For the transportation of military personnels and Private soldiers, the Canada uses civilian helicopters from the private sector. That's great for my company because we insure a lot of them $$$.

I wouldn't not say that our budget is declining after the recent announcement from the government in July that it would pay $9 to $16 billion for the purchase of 65 new F-35 Lightning II jets, the first of which is expected to arrive in 2016. Maintenance costs could push the price tag to $16 billion.

I used to work at the Ministry of Defence on many alternative for replacing our actual CF-18 such the F-35, F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, Eurofighter and even the Russian SU-30MK. But sadly the Canada have order in July the F-35 without a call for competitive bids. This decision is purely politic because the support of the Joint Strike Fighter was declined because many Countries have Pull Out of F-35 JSF Program. We are one of the first JSF parteners with the UK and 6 others countries and we are so close to the USA when it's question of Armaments Acquisition Process...they say it's for operability etc...

But yes in fact our military budget has delcine like all Western democracies after the decline and fall of communist. It's the case for France as well...hey what's happening with your acquisition of your second Aircraft carrier in partership with UK ?

Offline Darkel

• paparazzo
    • Flickr
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 09:16:01 am »
hey what's happening with your acquisition of your second Aircraft carrier in partership with UK ?

The final decision has been postponed to 2012 but the franco-british partnership is good as dead IMO, it dragged out too long ...
We do need a second carrier (after all the shenanigans that happened with the Charles de Gaulle the medias are having a field day every time it has to go into maintenance and there is no other carrier available) but they are reluctant to blow 3 billion euros at once when so many other equipments need to be replaced (APCs, the old Transall C-160s ...).

I guess the talks about changing the propulsion system for a nuclear one also allowed them to stall the project long enough without appearing to directly say "no"  :no:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:17:40 am by Darkel »

Offline gucom

• Superheavyweight
  • Hatseflats!
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 12:53:53 pm »
^lol, the JSF... I don't even wanna think about how long that discussion has been going on in our government... Dutch companies are participating in its construction, but I don't know when (and if) the final decision will be made to buy it for our airforce.

I believe we have ordered 1 or 2 JSF's for evaluation, and it seems to be preferred over other aircraft like the Eurofighter Typhoon and the swedish one, but how much of that is politics, is hard to judge. Right now they're wondering if it's even necessary to get a new fighter, because the old F16's can be updated with new technology (but no stealth ability and no extra speed or manoeuvrability obviously)....

Offline Darkel

• paparazzo
    • Flickr
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 01:35:49 pm »
Whoops   :mrgreen:

Nuclear submarine HMS Astute runs aground off Skye

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11605365

Offline wackary

• Heavyweight
    • American Revolution
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 03:09:59 am »
Cool thread guys.
My oldest son and I are just getting into airsoft, Military Simulation gaming.
I got my son this ACR replica:
Photobucket wotn cooperate so here is a link to a photo of the gun: http://strikehold.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/a-k-masada1.jpg?w=477&h=594
and I bought this for myself (again, a link...photobucket sux):
http://www.jmpaintball.com/sitebuilder/images/MS5_20A4_20RAS1_1_-750x304.jpg
They are super fun. Waaay more powerful than we initially expected. Full auto firing is absolutely amazing! Totally addictive! We have not entered an event yet but are considering trying one out which is taking place the first week of November. These guys break into teams and use an old abandoned hotel on the bay front. We chose our guns after agonozing over hundreds and hundreds of choices! I think we are fast developing an airsoft addiction....probably going to end as a cautionary tale  :whistle:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:22:43 am by wackary »
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is
for good men to do nothing" .
-Edmund Burke
http://www.pnar.org/sop.htm

Offline Driy

• Heavyweight
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 05:46:52 am »
haven't tried airsoft. thats got to kill.

been goin paintballin' the last few weekends in a row. its been a blast. sore as hell afterwards but it's been soo much fun.

Offline gucom

• Superheavyweight
  • Hatseflats!
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »
that's cool! when I was younger I got some airsoft guns from eastern europe (they're illegal here) and I'd have shootouts with my friends in my room... didn't take all the necessary safety precautions though, and I nearly shot myself in my eye once!
Airsoft guns can be pretty dangerous if you're not handling them responsibly... but I trust you'll be wiser than I was at 15yo :lol:

Offline Skaala

• Superheavyweight
  • Team Viking
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 11:54:06 am »
Who here has served in the Military?
Me...2003-2004
*Airforce boot camp
*Main station at NATO's Joint Warfare Center
*Secure driving and personell (VIP) security. Airforce Base Defence.
*Ended the service as Corporal

no pics, sorry, not allowed under security regulations.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:45:06 am by Skaala »
"In principle, this car is too fast for my thoughts!" (Walter R?hrl about the 600+hp Audi S1 EVO)
"If the M5 is the McLaren F1.. the RS6 is the Bugatti Veyron!" - Tiff Needell
"Though I Fly Through The Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing" - SR-71 test pilot

Offline Darkel

• paparazzo
    • Flickr
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 11:45:24 pm »
Extreme Chinook Helicopter Troop Extraction

Offline Saadie

• Superheavyweight
  • mhmm
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 11:59:39 pm »
^ nice ... i remember seeing a rescue just like that from afghanistan .. it was a recording from an apache's flir .
to answer Skaala question ... 
No i havent served int he military .. but i've seen it from a very close pov .. since dad was in the airforce :)

Offline Schwalbe

• Superheavyweight
  • Nachtjager
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 07:43:30 am »
@Darkel: HMS Astute was the joke of the week. Not really stealthy in this position !!!  :lol:
               Cool CH-53 Chinook extraction, it's quite scary to see Chopper blades close to the ground like this.  :shocked:

@Skaala: I used to work for the Canadian Ministry of Defence from 2004-2007 as a civilian under contract.
                I participated to mulitple military training and excercises (Mainly Airforce).
                Received many military instructions, like firing multiple assault riffles, boot camps, Leadership Officer courses, Intelligence Officer courses etc...
                For sure if I wasn't an aviation broker I would be surely an Officer for the Canadian Air Force.  ;)       

Offline gucom

• Superheavyweight
  • Hatseflats!
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 01:13:21 pm »
I've applied to become an air force pilot, but didn't pass one of the tests, so that was it :lol: I wanted to join the Marine Corps after that, but to do my parents a favor I gave college a try first. I ended up really liking college, and didn't apply for the military anymore.