Author Topic: Lotus Evora revealed: mid-engined 2+2  (Read 2738 times)

Offline danidmas

• Administrator
  • Mr. Large Penisklause
    • Colla Veglas
Lotus Evora revealed: mid-engined 2+2
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:15:31 am »

Finally, after a year of anticipation, British purist sportscar maker, Lotus, finally revealed today an all new model, the only mid-engined 2+2 in production. Bearing a Toyota 3.5-litre V6 producing 280 PS, the all new model, still codenamed 'Project Eagle', represents Lotus' first new model since the iconic Elise debuted in 1995.

Set to make its public debut in one week at the British Motorshow, Project Eagle, is reported by engineers as ?considerably faster around the famously demanding N?rburgring circuit than the Elise and more stable at speed than the Exige. ? While Lotus considers top speed less important than stability at speed, early indications suggest a maximum speed of 160 mph. The 0-60 mph is estimated at sub 5 seconds (prototype figures).

With a well appointed interior of sumptuous leather, high-tech features and LED instrumentation, Project Eagle is set to appeal to a much wider range of clientele. Unfortunately, Lotus is only committing 2000 units per year with deliveries starting in spring 2009.

Despite it's 2+2 configuration, Project Eagle will also be available as a two-seater with the space in the rear being allocated to luggage storage. As announced by Lotus back in 2007, Lotus plans to build a total of five variants which include a convertible and an ultra-high performance version.

Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus plc, had this to say about the new model: ?Project Eagle is the biggest milestone Lotus has achieved since the Elise was born 13 years ago.  We are currently working at broadening the appeal of the Lotus brand through an aggressive 5-year model plan of which this car represents the first exciting step.?

Check out the press release below for further details and features.

Source:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080715.015/lotus-mid-engined-22-eagle-officially-revealed
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/15/first-lotus-eagle-pic-surfaces-along-with-details-on-the-2-2/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:33:01 pm by danidmas »

Offline MartinR

• Superheavyweight
Re: Lotus Eagle revealed: mid-engined 2+2
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:13:01 pm »
For some reason I thought they were building something a bit more...faster. Even so nice to finally see a new car from them, not just another Elise based derivative.
The member formerly known as 'insane'.

Offline yeckmohr

• Superheavyweight
  • taxidriver
    • www.ckphotos.de
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:38 pm »
like insane said - good to see a new car from them, the elise is too old i think and we saw the europa on the NS, looks like a japanese car.

Offline mrmojo77

• Superheavyweight
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 04:01:54 pm »
Lotus is doing good, because they can afford to make such car. The car looks good and by using Toyota engine designers can put the effort where it counts.

Car is so interesting, that I'd like to see spreadeagle pictures :mrgreen:
"So it has ever been and ever will be."

Offline danidmas

• Administrator
  • Mr. Large Penisklause
    • Colla Veglas
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:57:44 pm »
The Esprit was postponed 'cause they decided to develop that 2+2 first. IMO it looks like a new Europa... which is very uncool, sorry :bad: And I don't see any room for 2 extra seats with the engine on the middle... guess the rear seats are gonna be as spacious as in the DB9 :wink:

Offline Svensson

• Middleweight
  • Ain't nothin' but a peanut
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:29:37 pm »
Pics from Autocar.co.uk:

Offline danidmas

• Administrator
  • Mr. Large Penisklause
    • Colla Veglas
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:00:33 am »
I'm curious to see the back seats... funny thing is the only thing they haven't shown :wink:

Offline zot09

• Heavyweight
  • Chicks dig my haploid cells
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 01:50:11 am »
It kinda reminds me of the Ascari KZ1...not bad not bad.

Offline mrmojo77

• Superheavyweight
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 02:24:11 am »
I'm curious to see the back seats... funny thing is the only thing they haven't shown :wink:

Good point. It does look very short thinking that there should be sitable seats in the back.
"So it has ever been and ever will be."

Offline bmagni

• Superheavyweight
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:19:40 am »
not very breakthrough. Looks like a newer bigger Elise  :no:

Offline danidmas

• Administrator
  • Mr. Large Penisklause
    • Colla Veglas
Re: Lotus Evora revealed: mid-engined 2+2
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 03:37:26 pm »
Sorry... it's Evora :wink:

It's been presented today at London Motorshow:

More:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/22/london-2008-lotus-unveils-the-evora/

*edit*

1350kg?! WTF?!

When the Lotus Evora debuted yesterday, we were surprised nobody made mention of the weight ? it didn't show up during the live press conference, in any of the specs on the web, or in the initial press release. The real press release on the Evora has finally emerged and, drum roll, the figure is 1,350 kg, or 2,976 lbs. Shocking. We were hoping for 2,200 lbs, maybe 2,700 lbs being realistic, but nearly a ton and a half has us shocked. Not only that, but a lot more options have us scratching our heads. Does this change the way we'll look at the little 2+2?

And a nice drawing, showing the 2+2 layout and how big the Evora is compared with the Elise:
http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/lotusevorabms/1002877342

Rest of the article:
http://jalopnik.com/399075/the-lotus-evora-weighs-a-tonand-a-half
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:02:32 pm by danidmas »

Offline gangajas

• Middleweight
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 05:54:33 pm »
It lets me cold, it's like a coup? version of the Tesla Roadster. Lotus designers are almost as lazy as Porsche designers.  :mrgreen:

Let's see what they do with the new Esprit.

Offline MartinR

• Superheavyweight
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 07:29:11 pm »
I like that they've kept the car lightweight. That said the rear seats will probably serve no purpose. They might as well have gotten rid of those too and save even more weight. There really is only room for a kid or two.

Offline gangajas

• Middleweight
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:09:57 pm »
I like that they've kept the car lightweight. That said the rear seats will probably serve no purpose. They might as well have gotten rid of those too and save even more weight. There really is only room for a kid or two.

Well, 1350 kg is not exactly lightweight. A 911 Carrera with 345 hp weights 1415 kg, and Audi TTS with 268 hp weights 1395 kg. So if this new Lotus is not lighter, more powerful, better finished and more beautiful than its competitors who is going to buy it?

Offline MartinR

• Superheavyweight
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 09:17:17 pm »
Notice how both those cars weigh more. :D But I agree, 280bhp is not enough to compete. Just get rid of the rear seats, make it lighter and add a few turbos or something.  :D

industrious