Author Topic: 24 hours of Le Mans 2012  (Read 631 times)

Offline danidmas

• Administrator
  • Mr. Large Penisklause
    • Colla Veglas
24 hours of Le Mans 2012
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:49:26 pm »
The Audi R18 e-tron quattro sets the pace at the Test Day of the 24 hours of Le Mans

Link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100111

Looks like the oldest trio of the official Audi Sport team (Kristensen, McNish, Capello) is still the quickest of them all. The Toyota TS030, with Wurz at the wheel, set the 4th best time at 1.2 secs off the leading Audi. According to McNish, they're far quicker than the Audis in top speed. The first non-hybrid Audi was 3rd at 0.6 secs of the best time, with the catalan Marc Gene at the wheel. Despite the fact that I really like the e-tron quattro experiment, you know which car I'll be giving my support :mrgreen:

Offline gucom

• Superheavyweight
  • Hatseflats!
Re: 24 hours of Le Mans 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »
The Toyotas have really surprised me by being so close to the Audi's! And indeed, they're faster on the straights - so it would seem there's no disadvantage in having a petrol engine these days (and Audi may well have been right that a petrol factory team would've been able to compete with the diesels even in previous years).

The fastest top speeds of the day was a Toyota at 330kph, the fastest Audi was doing 327 and the slowest Audi 322 - so that's a sizable difference. If they manage to keep the cars running they might actually push Audi in the race! Ofcourse they do have the best wind tunnel on the planet at their disposal, so that'll help too!

Next week's wednesday will see the qualifying start, I'm really curious to see who will be able to find some additional speed!

Offline Schwalbe

• Superheavyweight
  • Nachtjager
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 03:41:27 am »
After watching last week the cool Truth in 24II documentary, I'm more than ever in the mood to watch the 2012 24 Heures du Mans.  :good: 

Can't wait to see those R-18 e-tron coming from outspace performing in action.  :wink: 

Offline gucom

• Superheavyweight
  • Hatseflats!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:22:28 pm »
OK guys, I'm almost leaving for Le Mans so here's a short update.

Yesterday and the day before were the qualifying days for the 24 Hours of Le Mans (which is also the 3rd round of the FIA World Endurance Championship.

As expected, Audi was fastest (first pole ever at Le Mans for a hybrid vehicle), but Toyota was pretty close, so that's encouraging. Toyota had a really rocky preparation, they originally wanted to make 2012 only an exploration year but when Peugeot pulled out, the ACO and FIA convinced them to have a proper go at the WEC. Due to a big crash, which cost them the only car they had built untill then, they couldn't test nearly as much as they wanted to (even now they haven't completed a real endurance test). So while it's a relief to see a petrol-engined car get among the Audi's, there're still big question marks over their reliability. Also, they have just 2 cars (both battery hybrid), while Audi has 4 cars (2 diesels with flywheel hybrids, called Audi R18 e-tron and 2 non-hybrid diesels called Audi R18 Ultra).

Both hybrid systems deliver about 200hp of boost for some 5 seconds after each heavy braking zone (7 at Le Mans), so that's a LOT more than what the F1 KERS systems produce.

Fastest non-factory car was the Strakka Racing's Honda LMP1, with Rebellion Racing's Lola Toyota's following, and then the Pescarolo-run Dome. Unfortunately the Dome crashed out heavily, I don't know yet if they'll be able to repair it in time for the race. I'd looooooooove to see this beautiful car in real life for once, so I really hope they'll manage to fix it!

In LMP2 it's mostly Oreca Nissan's, because the Nissan engine has so far been the best (LMP2 requires production-car derived engines but it seems an NA V8 is inherently more suited to these regulations than the V6 turbo used by Honda). Judd also rebuilt a BMW M3's V8 but they're not as popular as the Nissan engine either.

GTE-Pro sees a really nice mix at the front: Ferrari - Aston Martin - Corvette. I'm especially pleased to see Aston Martin do so well, after their disastrous LMP1 effort last year.
GTE-Am is dominated by Porsches, with the fastest (Flying Lizard) being up amongst the GTE-Pro's.

The "garage 56" car is a project by the ACO to have a car with new technology among the field. It's not classified, it doesn't directly compete against anyone, it's just a showcase. This year, that car is the Deltawing. It was originally proposed as the new standard for Indycar, but it was rejected, and now it has been modified into an LMP1 car. It's super low drag because it's shaped more or less like an arrow, and it has no wings or anything, just some ground effect. It's also very low weight (475kg), which makes it able to compete with the LMP2's despite its 1.6 litre turbo, 300hp Nissan engine. It's supposed to show how we can be very fast with vastly less resources, and although I was sceptical at first, I do think it's a nice project. It looks like no other racecar out there, so be sure to check it out!

All in all, I'm pretty sure Audi's gonna win, but still it's gonna be an exciting race. I hope the Toyota's will make it through the race and challenge Audi a bit. It's gonna be really interesting to see how the hybrids hold up and if their performance/frugalty advantage makes up for their smaller fuel tanks. Also, if it rains, the Audi e-trons should have an advantage because their flywheel releases its power to the front wheels, making it a temporary 4-wheel drive car out of the corners! Audi Quattro at Le Mans :mrgreen:

On www.fiawec.com there should be a page where you can see where the race is aired in your country, and otherwise I'm sure you can watch it online somewhere (maybe even on FIAWEC website itself!). Be sure to open the live player at www.radiolemans.com for commentary if the tv feed's native commentary is crap (which does happen sometimes). I'll be back in a few days with photos and stories! :good:

Oh, and the full qualifying list:
Pos  Cl     Drivers                             Team/Car                     Time 1.  P1     Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer           Audi e-tron                  3m23.787s 2.  P1     Dumas/Duval/Gene                    Audi Ultra                   3m24.078s 3.  P1     Davidson/Buemi/Sarrazin             Toyota                       3m24.842s 4.  P1     Capello/Kristensen/McNish           Audi e-tron                  3m25.433s 5.  P1     Wurz/Lapierre/Nakajima              Toyota                       3m25.488s 6.  P1     Bonanomi/Jarvis/Rockenfeller        Audi Ultra                   3m26.420s 7.  P1     Leventis/Watts/Kane                 Strakka HPD                  3m29.622s 8.  P1     Prost/Jani/Heidfeld                 Rebellion Lola-Toyota        3m29.837s 9.  P1     Belicchi/Primat/Bleekemolen         Rebellion Lola-Toyota        3m31.866s 10.  P1     Ara/Minassian/Bourdais              Pescarolo Dome-Judd          3m33.066s 11.  P1     Brabham/Chandhok/Dumbreck           JRM HPD                      3m35.421s 12.  P1     Montagny/Baguette/Kraihamer         OAK Pescarolo-Judd           3m35.584s 13.  P1     Collard/Boullion/Hall               Pescarolo-Judd               3m37.485s 14.  P2     Martin/Charouz/Graves               ADR ORECA-Nissan             3m38.181s 15.  P2     Nicolet/Lahaye/Pla                  OAK Morgan-Judd              3m38.598s 16.  P2     Panciatici/Ragues/Rusinov           Signatech ORECA-Nissan       3m39.152s 17.  P2     Beche/Thiriet/Tinseau               TDS ORECA-Nissan             3m39.252s 18.  P2     Perez-Companc/Ayari/Kaffer          Pecom ORECA-Nissan           3m39.711s 19.  P2     Firth/Hughes/Hartley                Murphy ORECA-Nissan          3m39.877s 20.  P2     Heinemeier Hansson/Leinders/Martin  OAK Morgan-Nissan            3m39.899s 21.  P2     Sims/Buurman/Iannetta               Status Lola-Judd             3m40.280s 22.  P2     Potolicchio/Dalziel/Kimber-Smith    Starworks HPD-Honda          3m40.471s 23.  P2     Briere/Petersen/Nakano              Boutsen ORECA-Nissan         3m40.727s 24.  P2     Ordonez/Brundle/Brundle             Greaves Zytek-Nissan         3m40.738s 25.  P2     Dolan/Hancock/Kurosawa              Jota Zytek-Nissan            3m41.287s 26.  P2     Mailleux/Lombard/Tresson            Signatech ORECA-Nissan       3m41.982s 27.  P2     Tucker/Bouchut/Diaz                 Level 5 HPD-Honda            3m42.224s 28.  P2     Zugel/Gonzalez/Julian               Greaves Zytek-Nissan         3m42.292s 29.  CDNT   Franchitti/Krumm/Motoyama           Highcroft Delta Wing Nissan  3m42.612s 30.  P2     Frey/Hirschi/Meichtry               Race Performance ORECA-Judd  3m43.619s 31.  P2     Holzer/Schultis/Moro                Kodewa Lola-Lotus            3m45.664s 32.  P2     Giroix/Johansson/Badey              Gulf Lola-Nissan             3m47.244s 33.  P2     Haezebrouck/Thirion/Rosier          Extreme Limite Norma-Judd    3m48.025s 34.  GTE P  Makowiecki/Melo/Farnbacher          Luxury Ferrari               3m55.393s 35.  GTE P  Fernandez/Mucke/Turner              Aston Martin                 3m55.870s 36.  GTE P  Gavin/Milner/Westbrook              Corvette                     3m55.910s 37.  GTE P  Bertolini/Beretta/Cioci             AF Corse Ferrari             3m56.484s 38.  GTE P  Taylor/Garcia/Magnussen             Corvette                     3m57.181s 39.  GTE A  Neiman/Pilet/Pumpelly               Flying Lizard Porsche        3m57.594s 40.  GTE P  Lieb/Lietz/Henzler                  Felbermayr-Proton Porsche    3m57.606s 41.  GTE P  Alfaisal/Curtis/Edwards             IMSA Porsche                 3m58.035s 42.  GTE P  Bergmeister/Long/Holzer             Flying Lizard Porsche        3m58.717s 43.  GTE A  Simonsen/Nygaard/Poulsen            Aston Martin                 3m58.725s 44.  GTE A  Ehret/Montecalvo/Jeannette          Luxury Ferrari               3m58.800s 45.  P2     Rostan/Ihara/Deletraz               Gulf Lola-Nissan             3m58.895s 46.  GTE A  Ried/Roda/Ruberti                   Felbermayr-Proton Porsche    3m59.181s 47.  GTE A  Bornhauser/Canal/Lamy               Larbre Corvette              3m59.192s 48.  GTE P  Walker/Cocker/Wills                 JMW Ferrari                  3m59.638s 49.  GTE P  Fisichella/Bruni/Vilander           AF Corse Ferrari             4m00.025s 50.  GTE A  Perazzini/Cadei/Griffin             AF Corse Ferrari             4m00.288s 51.  GTE A  Armindo/Narac/Pons                  IMSA Porsche                 4m00.332s 52.  GTE A  Kauffman/Aguas/Vickers              AF-Waltrip Ferrari           4m00.691s 53.  GTE A  Krohn/Jonsson/Rugolo                Krohn Ferrari                4m02.323s 54.  GTE A  Rodrigues/Ferte/Illiano             JMB Ferrari                  4m02.461s 55.  GTE A  Bourret/Gibon/Belloc                Larbre Corvette              4m02.969s 56.  GTE A  Camathias/Daniels/Palttala          JWA Porsche                  4m03.661s

Offline gucom

• Superheavyweight
  • Hatseflats!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:16:43 am »
lol didn't anyone watch the race?
I just got back home, I'm exhausted so report & photos will have to wait. It wasn't as close as last year's race but still very interesting, with Audi scoring the first Hybrid win at Le Mans! Toyota really surprised me in a positive way, and so did the DeltaWing. GT was just awesome :good:

Offline Schwalbe

• Superheavyweight
  • Nachtjager
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:12:49 am »
Despite the awesome temperature we got during the weekend, I manage to watch inside the house the last 4 hours of LeMans on Speed Channel with friends. :beer:

It's incredible the constant speed those LMP1 drivers can reach every laps.  :shocked:

Once again a god damn Ferrari driver is responsible of another big crash.  :crazy:

Nice job Audi this year and I just can't wait to see their brother Porsche coming to LeMans in 2 years...I don't know who I will support ?  :euh: